- Really good propaganda.
- Strong imperial allies, or at the very least, strong imperial “we don’t know enough about the situation so we’re reluctant to step in“s
- A sufficiently corruptible and capitalist mainstream media.
- A toothless United Nations as a reason to ignore its resolutions and sanctions (except of course for the ones that give you what you want.)
- Easily exploitable historical blind spots.
- A post-it note reminding you to never attack a military base during the Christmas season. (Attacks on civilians during Eid is perfectly acceptable, however.)